“Earthman is a wonderfully-made album, whose music is somewhere between relaxed soul, pop and world music. The quality of the music prevails.”
Polyprisma online magazine, Germany
“This group can get people to the party anywhere in the world”
Rootstime online magazine, Belgium
“Handclaps, hazel-eyed soul and acoustic honesty”
Mikey’s Must-See Three, Hit magazine, Herald Sun newspaper, Australia
Simon Hudson is a singer-songwriter whose highly original music weaves a captivating blend of world, roots and folk, with influences including Carlinhos Brown, The Cat Empire, Jose Gonzalez, Neil Finn, and Paul Simon. Based in Melbourne, Australia, he’s toured throughout Europe, Brazil, Cuba and Australia, solo and with his band.
His latest single Travelling Salesman (Nov 2018, Bandcamp) is an ode to the life of the touring musician – visiting many places with suitcase and guitar in hand, the hardest place to find is home. It’s the first single from his forthcoming album due in December 2019.
His debut Earthman was launched worldwide in August 2016 on German label Songs and Whispers, distributed by Broken Silence (Europe) and Native Tongue (Australia). Three singles were released, with funds for the album raised using Australian crowdfunder Pozible.
His previous 2012 EP Time And Space is a remarkable showcase of skilled songwriting, addictive roots rhythms and honest lyricism. Earthman was created during periods where Simon was examining his place in the world. He sees the world as a whole, with similarities between all people – because we are a global species. Everyone can find something potent and true in these songs, dealing with love, friendship, hope, dedication and tenderness.
His 5 international tours from 2014 – 2019 have seen him play more than 167 shows worldwide, including appearances on German national radio and Cuban national TV & pan-American radio.
“Exploring a blend of inter-cultural music influences with classic 70s troubadour sound he has a strong sense of melody, harmony and – significantly for his genre – groove”
Greg Arnold, Things of Stone and Wood, The Swamp Dandies
- Latest release – single Travelling Salesman released Nov 2018 on Bandcamp
- Launch Aug 2016 Earthman through German label Songs & Whispers
- TV appearances 2019 Cubavisiòn channel 6 (Cuba, national), 2018 ARTV (Cuba, regional)
- Radio appearances Radio Cadena Havana (Cuba, national), Radio Havana Cuba (Cuba, pan-American), Deutschlandradio Kultur (Berlin, national), Radio Bremen (Berlin), Radio Tide (Hamburg), Radio Weser TV (Germany), Radio Adelaide (Aus), Radio Central (Belgium)
- Press Polyprisma online magazine, Rootstime online magazine, Weser Kurier newspaper, Aachener Zeitung newspaper, Zevener Zeitung newspaper
- In-store appearances 25Music (Hannover)
- Radio airplay Radio Rebelde (Cuba), Deutschlandradio Kultur (Berlin, national), Radio Bremen (Bremen), Il Popolo del Blues (Italy), Radio 98eins Greifswald (Germany), Radio Triquency (Germany), MDR Kultur (Germany), PBS Radio (Melbourne), Triple J Unearthed (Australia), Campusradio Jena (Germany), Salford City Radio (Manchester, UK), Radio Central (Belgium)
- Crowdfunding 2014 Pozible album campaign
- Awards 2013 UTAS Stephen Schwartz Songwriting Award
- Launch Nov 2012 debut EP Time and Space
- Qualifications 2012 Bachelor of Music (Songwriting) at NMIT in Melbourne
Tours, festivals and shows
- Cuba tour May 2019 – Cubadisco International Arts Festival
- Cuba tour Dec 2018 – shows incl. Hotel Riviera, Hotel Capri, Club Barbaran
- World tour Jul/Aug 2017 – 40 shows across Brazil, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany & Australia
- European tour Jul 2016 – 85 shows in Germany, incl. Haus am Walde & Breminale festivals
- Flight of the Earthman tour Jan 2016 – Victoria & South Australia
- European tour Jul 2014 – 33 shows in Germany & Netherlands, including Breminale Festival
- Summer Days Festival 2013 – Willunga SA
- Victoria tour 2013 – MAROA festival (Lorne), Qdos Arts (Lorne), Zeally and Cliff (Torquay)
- Adelaide tour 2012 – Metropolitan Hotel, The Gov, Singing Gallery (McLaren Vale), Suzie Wong’s Room
- Melbourne shows – Spotted Mallard, B-East, The Espy, Grace Darling, Rainbow Hotel, The Retreat, Great Britain, Ed Castle, Yarra Hotel, Wesley Anne, Some Velvet Morning, Tapachula, Yah Yah’s, Gertrude’s Brown Couch, Cruzao Arepa Bar, Sydney Rd Street Party, John Curtin Hotel, Bar Oussou, Thornbury Local, Bebida, Gypsy Bar, Rice Queen, Readings, Coburg Garden Party
- Adelaide shows – Wheatsheaf Hotel, Grace Emily, Vinyl, Jade Monkey